Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Book Review: Trail of Crumbs by Kim Sunee

I was shuffling through my step-mom's copy of People back in February and found a little blurb on this book and it piqued my interest. So, I immediately requested it from the library and a little less than two weeks ago it finally became available. New books take bee longer to get, you see. Well, I just finished it. I have mainly been trying to find a job these last couple weeks but I really wanted to read it, so I made time. Now, what does this have to do with THIS site you say? Everything and nothing. The author, a American woman, was adopted as a toddler from South Korea. I have read a few books about adoption - from the parents point of view and from the child's point of view and I suppose they have a pretty common theme and story, but this one was quite different. It was, for lack of a better word, sensual. The story oozed romance, even when she was just talking about food. It wasn't a romance novel at all, but a rich story about a woman who is desperately searching for her way in the world and trying everything she can to feel whole or "at home." I can understand some of her feelings, because I myself feel torn at times. It is no real news to those who know me, but I am very much Asian, even if I am white. Ha ha. My friends all call me their "little Asian" and my best friend (Yixuan, who is Chinese) just recently told me that I know pretty close to as much about China as she does. She swears I was born Chinese inside. So, in the way that she was born Korean, but lives in America kind of rings a bell for me. The book also contains some yummy looking recipes that follow along with the story. If you are a cook you should give them a try. The book is also being released in Korean soon, so tell your Korean friends too! If you are looking for a story that is moving and inspirational, I would recommend reading Trail of Crumbs: Hunger, Love, and the Search for Home.



p.s. - you can check out her site and her own blog here. I find it interesting that she is going on the South Korean tv show "I Miss You." It makes me think of Daniel Henney in his role in My Father. I somehow have been connecting with adoption stories lately.

No comments: