Saturday, December 16, 2006

Chinse Album Review: 12 Girls Band - White Christmas


It is a rare thing when two of my passions collide. I love the Holiday season. Giving, baking, making too much food for guests and having to clean up after them. What I love even more is listening to Christmas music. I've had numerous nightmares of forgetting to listen to Christmas music during the holiday season, probably has some sort of ominous meaning in reality, but I try not to think about it. Anyway, my love of all things Asian have expanded to their take of Christmas greats. Some of them make me laugh, but that's half the charm. This album didn't do that. It is actually very pleasant to listen to. The perfectly harmonizing 12 Girls Band have expanded their reach to the Christmas music market and taken on the challenge of keeping classic Christmas songs alive. Using the various traditional Chinese instruments like the guzheng, erhu, pipa, yangqin and hulusi the girls (of which there are actually thirteen) put their spin on things. This is a fun and inspiring album. If you like Kenny G or Lori Line's Christmas albums, this would be a great addition to your collection.

No comments: