Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Hong Kong Movie Review: Kung Fu Mahjong

Yuen Wah: Chi Mo-Sai
Yuen Qiu: Auntie Fei
Roger Kwok: Wong

I watched this movie tonight after letting it sit on my shelf for a month and a half. (Thanks for no late fees Netflix) I was unsure about it and less enthusiastic about it than most of the other Chinese movies I have watched. So there it sat, next to Elizabethtown and Rumble in the Bronx waiting for me to be bored enough to watch it. And I should have watched it earlier! I thought that despite a clear focus at times this movie had what a lot of movie-goers enjoy: laughter, drama, action and a hint of romance. There was a surprisingly dark part of the movie in the middle. Usually something this light-hearted doesn't get that heavy into things, but nevertheless I found this to be an enjoyable movie. The pair Yuen Wah and Yuen Qiu are together again after Kung-Fu Hustle and their charisma is just as strong. Roger Kwok does a solid job as quiet Wong even during his "retarded" moments. (Watch the movie and you'll know what I mean.) So in all I'd give this movie a 3 and 1/2 star rating. :)

No comments: